Monday, October 26, 2009

Marine Parade- the town whose food all crave

Last Saturday I visited Marine Parade Food Centre for lunch. If you've been there for a decent meal, you know what good stuff lie there. Ever-so-nice chicken rice was on the menu! Oh darn, I forgot the take down the address. So I think I have to draw out the floor plan. Here goes nothing...
OK, so (a) is the chicken rice stall. Phew, what a mess. The chicken rice sold is those that is of high standard, to me. You know, some rice are the kind where it's so bland that you have to our chili sauce or black soy sauce over it to make it better to eat. Some are that bad. But this chicken rice, it's very fragrant and it's not very oily! The chicken and rice are separated and served on different plates, so it looks much better and nicer. As for the chicken, I think they only have '白鸡', which is just steamed chicken. Together with the chicken gravy, a little salty, the whole thing blends together very well. I always like to pour the chicken gravy over the rice and eat it together. It's so nice! A bowl of mouth-watering soup and some cucumbers will complete that wonderful chicken rice meal. Since like long ago, I have been coming back very often for this delicious chicken rice. A chicken drumstick meal costs only $3.50!!! Must try! The address is: Block 84, Marine Parade Central. I will update again as for the unit number of the stall. Rating: 8.5/10

Next we had desserts. No, not Ice Kachang. Or Cheng Tng. Not even Mango Pudding. I had Grass Jelly with Sea Coconut. Best eaten on a hot and sweaty day! The stall name is Selegie Soya Bean, and the location of the stall can be found in the diagram above. Yes, it's (b)! This stall serves soy bean products (soy bean milk, soy bean curd), pearl drinks (bandung with pearls etc) and grass jelly products (grass jelly drink, grass jelly desserts). The menu overhead brings on a variety of grass jelly desserts, from which I chose Grass Jelly with Sea Coconut, as sea coconut is the most ideal for such a hot day, and has some cooling effect. Others include longan. attap seed, etc. When sea coconut is mixed into grass jelly, the overall sweetness is enhanced. I have always loved grass jelly, that wonderful black wobbly thing. Now with sea coconut, I love how these two cooling foods are together in a bowl. I LOVE sweet foods and this dessert is one of the best ordinary but delicious desserts I have eaten. No durians, mangos, mint, fruit cocktail etc. Just grass jelly and sea coconut. What a wonderful combination! Now get down to Block 84, Marine Parade Central to try it out! It costs only $1.40! 8/10

No comments: